March 30, 2020
*** Guide to printing V2.2 ***
* WE ARE ON VERSION V2.5, LINK TO THAT VERSION HERE *
We've worked through the weekend to improve on our V1.7 design. Here's what was done:
1. Ported our original design into Fusion 360 for easier file manipulation
2. Optimized the design better for 3D printing by using parameters in Fusion360 to get the line thickness consistent.
3. Reduced the overall thickness of the model to 10mm
4. Improved the slot design for the PETG sheet. We found that some shields especially when printing fast had weak layer adhesion causing the front lip to break or the gap was too tight for the sheet.
5. Printing time down to 1.5 hours at regular settings. This means the quality of the shields can be more consistent across the many different 3D printers used by the community. We managed to bring it to under one hour by using a 0.6mm nozzle and 0.35mm layer heights
6. Stacks easier by alternating every part 180 degrees in the z-directions (Thanks to twitter user: @JoseLCadavid for the suggestion!)
7. The weight is down to about 25grams only (about half the V1.7 weight). Means we can print about twice as many per roll of filament and it is lighter weight for the end-user!
8. We got rid of the bottom retainer piece as we found it doesn't really do much.
Are the V1.7 model still acceptable?
Where to get the new files:
October 28, 2020
October 15, 2020
September 17, 2020
Take a closer look at the new line-up of printers at BCN3D and each of their comparisons. Introducing the all new W50, W27, and D25 3D Printers. Now including the BCN3D Smart Cabinet, the environment-controlled filament storage unit.
Click here to see what these printers can do for your next print project.
Subscribe to our newsletter and always be the first to hear about what is happening.